Friday, February 11, 2011

Boojum Picks His Headstone

Boojum

When my dog Boojum was about 8 years old he and I were walking on the edge of one of our favorite hills to walk. It’s a beautiful place which has an unobstructed view of the whole area that we like to surf and camp. It’s a very peaceful place. If you look to the east you see nothing but mountains and hills dotted with different types of cactus. The rock formations are beautiful. Then turn and look directly behind in the opposite direction to the west and all you see is the shoreline and the expanse of the beautiful Pacific Ocean.

On this day Boojum and I were walking side by side on the ridge. I stopped and I said to Boojum, “Booj someday your gonna pass away and your gonna need to have a place to be buried out here where I know you love to be, where you can always be free.” And while he was standing there looking directly at me with his brown eyes as if he knew what I was saying to him, I said “Booj what do you think about up here on the ridge? Would you like to be up here somewhere?” After I said that, he turns and walks about 25 feet away and starts sniffing this big boulder. Then he lifts his leg and pisses all over it. I watched him and I laughed and said; “OK pal, that’s where you will be.” And that is where he is now buried. Roberta and I can see his headstone when we drive in and when we leave and we always say hi and see ya Booj.


Glen, Apollo and Roberta, At Boojums
Photo By:  Boots McGhee

 

No comments:

Post a Comment